1. Test strips, usually. Ever since I went back to a non-pregnant-person’s blood sugar maintenance schedule (5 times a day instead of 10+), my pharmacy’s gotten very sneaky with the way they fill my prescription. It says to test 5-6 times per day, but I’m only given 100 strips for an entire 30 days. So even if I do the minimum, I’m still 20 strips short. They’re charitable enough to refill the prescription before that 30-day period is up, but that means I have to pay an extra copay.
I imagine there’s a way to address this, and I imagine that way takes a half-dozen phone calls, some faxing and complaining, and a bunch of energy I don’t have. Which brings me to #2.
2. Time. My entire life I’ve heard the grown-ups say things like, “There just aren’t enough hours in the day,” and I’ve always been like “You’re RIGHT! I’m so busy and I have all these things to do!” LOL, as the kids say. I was wrong. Now there really aren’t enough hours in the day, but at the same time I’m very excited for each day to be over, because at least then I get to try to sleep.
3. Infusion set sites. Thanks to some miracle combination of breastfeeding and having no food in the house (see #4), I weigh just a few pounds less than I did before my pregnancy. I’m happy about this, except for the fact that the cannulas on my infusion sets are too long for my diminished fat stores. So now I get an extra pinch with each infusion set placement, and a lot of unpleasant sensations each time I give myself a bolus. There’s some scar tissue building up around my belly, too, so I’ve turned to my hips and legs and arms as alternatives. Unfortunately, those sites leave my tubing much more prone to baby tangles.
4. Food. Diabetes-friendly recipe this! Whole foods that! Low-glycemic-index high-fiber blah blah protein quinoa yogurt hummus smoothies! How about we order pizza for dinner, and then have that pizza again for breakfast and lunch the next day because I don’t have the time (see item #2) to go to the store for anything besides baby food in a pouch and Diet Coke? Okay? Okay!
5. Patience with myself. My daughter’s first birthday is quickly approaching, and I still haven’t finished sending out thank-you notes for the gifts we received at her shower. Last week I totally forgot I had a presentation until 45 minutes before the presentation — which was 45 minutes away. The week before that I skipped a doctor’s appointment because I completely lost track of which week it was. I’m losing my mind and I don’t even know where to start looking for it.
6. Space on the porch. Any time I’m asked to call to mind my happy place, I think immediately of the pool at the little hotel we’ve always stayed at in Key West. It’s a small, calm oasis where you float on your back and look at the sky while you wait for your husband to throw you a can of Miller Lite from the porch of the room you’re staying in. Anyway, the pool deck is surrounded by solid walls of out-of-control tropical greenery with iguanas hiding inside. My current goal is to get our front porch and back deck as close to that state as possible. I’ve got my beloved lemon ball, some ferns, a few cacti, Philodendrons, calladiums, and some tropical looking tree of unknown origin.
Plant by plant, I’ll just wall myself in with my pizza and my baby and laundry and used test strips. God knows I’ve got plenty of those.