About that Baby Thing

Remember a few months ago, when I reflected on my cardiovascular and diabetes-related health, and the less-than-encouraging advice I’d received from cardiologists and high-risk obstetricians, and decided to forgo biological baby-having activities in favor of adoption at some later date?

Well, as it turns out, the universe is one hilarious prank-playing S.O.B., because I’m pregnant.

I’m at 12 weeks, and I still can’t believe it. It feels weird even typing out that phrase: I’m pregnant. In the family way. With child. Eating for two.

Surprise, bitches!

I was terrified when I found out. And since it’s my thing, I immediately imagined the worst-case scenario, which I will not type out for superstition purposes. Suffice it to say that the worst case involves very bad things, and lots of people shaking their heads and referencing Steel Magnolias.

I felt like an irresponsible teenager, calling all the people who’d advised me not to get pregnant to tell them that I’d done just that. Because she’s awesome, my Certified Diabetes Educator was optimistic and supportive, and promised me we’d do our best to make sure everything turns out okay.

The nurse I spoke to at the OB was slightly less awesome. I explained my situation to her, and told her I’d stopped taking my super scary ACE inhibitor since, from what I’d heard, it makes unborn babies develop eagle talons and ESP. “That’s the last thing you want to do,” she said, brimming with judgement. “You should never stop taking your medication unless you’re instructed to do so by a doctor.”

I took one of the 6,022 deep breaths I’d take that day. “I was instructed to do so. By my cardiologist.”

Then I had to call that cardiologist and make an appointment with her. I don’t know if it’s the trauma of my adolescent-year endocrinology appointments that’s scarred me so irreversibly, but I fully expected to get yelled at. Thankfully, that didn’t happen.

Jodie Poundstone came bounding through the door with a big old smile on her face. “Congratulations!” she offered. I was so confused. Where was the naysaying Debbie Downer I’d talked with just weeks before?

“We have to be careful with our recommendations,” she explained, “but honestly? I’m not convinced you ever really had a real cardiomyopathy issue. I think you’re going to be fine.” She went on to say that she was more concerned about the state of my diabetes and about the effects of the ACE inhibitor on the baby, and was relieved to hear that I’d stopped taking it. (Take that, mean OB nurse.)

That was all six weeks ago, and I’m still wrapping my mind around this insane turn of events. So far, things seem to be working out pretty okay on the health front. I was shocked to learn that my A1c was below 7.0 around conception time, and that pee test I had to endure? No protein there.

I’m slightly more relaxed, and I feel like now I can start to focus on the issues that non-diabetic pregnant people obsess over: How many toes will it have? What kind of diapers should we use? Where should I bury my social life? When can it get a job?

I’ve been exhausted and moody and nauseated and terrified, but I’m finding that the sentiment I’m most overwhelmed with is one of unspeakable excitement and humility and anticipation and love and other mushy things you’ve heard a million times from other expectant moms.

I can’t believe this is happening to me — to us — but I’m so glad it is.

48 comments on “About that Baby Thing

1. Colleen says:

I’m thrilled for you!
    Congratulations!!

2. Rachel says:

holy crap – congrats!! 🙂

3. Tammy says:

Wow. Just WOW! I’m so very happy for you. It’s nice to know that Karma thing works in the positive direction sometimes too. Although I don’t *know you* know you, I’m SO glad this happened for you! I can’t wait to hear more about your journey.

4. Jasmine says:

I have to echo Rachel, as it’s the first thing I thought too: Holy Crap!!!

Congratulations! So exciting, and it sounds like you’re off to a good start….all that deep breathing surely is good for you, right??

5. Sue/RFamHere says:

Congratulations!!!

6. Johanna B says:

I so wish you congratulation and look forward to reading about your healthy pregnancy, followed by the birth of your beautiful baby.

7. I’m so happy happy happy for you. And the appropriately named husband. And the appropriately named dog. 🙂

8. Nikki D. says:

Congratulations!! Looks like we are in this together!

9. Kim says:

I AM ECSTATIC FOR YOU GUYS!! ALL CAPS!

10. Holly says:

You already know I’m beyond excited! You’re already a great momma. Be excited! Be very excited! =D

11. Rachel Mercurio says:

That’s fantastic news! Congratulations!! 😀

12. A-Flizzle says:

Yeah!! Can’t wait to meet the newest member of the family–if it’s a boy, you need to name it Bob–makes everything easier for you. Seriously, you are a creative, awesome, inspiring, hilarious gal and that is one lucky fetus. Congrats!

13. Sarah says:

Congrats! I’m am in the same boat as you (T1 and pregnant). I totally understand the freaking out part, as I am guilty of it myself. Prayers for healthy pregnancies and babies for both of us!

14. Cherise says:

Congratulation’s!!! I’m so happy for you and your Hubby!

15. Sara says:

Congrats! A-Flizzle is right. Bob (Bobbi) is really the best name decision.

16. Scott S says:

Wow, I think congratulations are in order, even if this wasn’t exactly planned! Personally, I’m not a huge fan of naming a baby boy Bob … I think Scott is so much better, and there really aren’t enough of us in the D-OC community yet!! This is exciting news, and we’re confident the baby will be a healthy, happy addition to the diabetes online community!!

17. Sarah says:

Congrats girl!!! It’s not an easy road, but it is SO rewarding!!!!!!

18. Christopher says:

Very exciting times. Congratulations.

19. Auntly H says:

Yahoo!!!!! You two will make amazing parents. That’s a lucky kid on its way to you.

20. “Surprise, bitches!” That totally made me snort!

Congratulations! Such awesome news!

(Could I possibly use any more exclamation points?!)

21. Stacey says:

Congrats! You can absolutely bake yourself a healthy little peanut with T1. I did! 🙂 Shes 19 months now and driving us insane with her running faster than we can follow and the constant “no no no” but the hubs and I are still loving every minute.

The bright side of being T1 and pregnant? You get WAY more ultrasounds than the average gal which I thought was pretty awesome.

22. Joanne says:

Woo! I can only imagine what sarcasm super-powers any offspring of yours is going to have. It will be aweeeesooooome!

Seriously, congrats. Kids really do rock.

23. Mike Hoskins says:

Congrats to you both!!! (Plus another exclamation point!) And names… What About Bob? Exactly.

24. Marie Smith says:

That’s awesome. Congrats!

25. Wendy says:

WOW!!!! CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!

Here’s to a healthy mama, a healthy baby, and many years of health and happiness!

26. AJ says:

CONGRATS!

27. Tina Kicklighter says:

Whaaaa? I’m (almost) speechless. That is amazing news!!

28. Stephanie says:

Congrats! Make sure to take the time and ENJOY it!

29. Peggy says:

I am so excited for you and Bob (and the grandparents to be)! I will keep you in my prayers.

30. That is great news to be reading – that a little bambino is on the way …. JEALOUSY HERE – since my doctors in the 70’s persuaded me to undergo tubal ligation saying it was dangerous for me to have any children due to diabetes. Boy oh boy – if only I’d had a brain back there (they were fizzled by drugs and rock ‘n roll at the time).

Even better is that the ticker is okay! Can’t wait for more follow ups !!

31. Rebecca says:

SO HAPPY FOR YOU! I read your blog all the time, and this is my first comment! Enjoy every minute, and don’t let any doses of guilt steal your joy!!! I am a Type 1, and I had three healthy, perfect babies! I am over-the-moon happy for you!

32. Kate Boylan says:

Wow! That is so exciting! Congratulations! You are an inspiration to us all, Jacquie. The hubs and I are just beginning to think about pregnancy, and all that it will medically entail. We’re thinking of you, and hoping for smooth numbers, and healthy glows 🙂

33. Mel says:

Congratulations. I am very happy for you and your family.

34. YAY, YAY, YAY, YAY!!!! 😀

so thrilled for you guys!!!!!

35. Paul says:

A simple and heartfelt Congratulations!

My only advice…check early, check often…your BG that is. 😎

36. Marla says:

Wishing you all the best! Enjoy all of it.

37. Congratulations!!! I look forward to giggling through a few more of your brilliantly hilarious posts as you go through the next 8 mos (and beyond)…wishing you all the best. It will be a wild, crazy and wonderful ride. 🙂

38. Jeff says:

Super Mega Congratulations!! You’re going to be an awesome mom, I can just tell.

39. Layne says:

Congrats girly! I’m so happy/excited/etc for you!

Btw, don’t you just love medicine and the whole “I’m not convinced you ever really had a real cardiomyopathy issue” thing? I mean, it’s definitely better than the other way around but it’s like if you don’t already have a heart issue they are trying to give you a heart attack just for good measure. Ugh!

I’m so excited to follow your journey/thoughts/parables/bloats through pregnancy. Mine was great, stressful but I really did love it. I wish you the best!

40. Christina says:

Congrats on the bun in the diabetic oven! I’m new to your blog but still excited about your news. I’m T1 and definitely curious about how the diabetic body will handle being pregnant. I hope you’ll continue to share your experiences with the candor you’ve used in your other posts.

41. Congratulations, Jacquie!

I just started Clomid this week, so if everything else goes according to plan I should be joining you on the baby wagon in a few months. (crossing fingers/toes/eyes)

42. Heidi says:

Congrats, Jacquie!

I can totally follow you on trying to wrap your mind around the concept of being pregnant, planned or not. I’m now 16 weeks along, and I still find it difficult to believe (we had a miscarriage the first time we tried, so that maybe plays a role too). I haven’t even blogged about it yet, but that’s just as much due to the fact that we haven’t broken the news to the entire family yet (in order to limit their excessive interest, worry and joy somewhat – it may sound strange and/or egoistic, but that’s because you don’t know our families ;-)). Once the family has been informed, I’ll also start to share the stories about a T1 pregnancy in DK 🙂

43. Olivejooice says:

CONGRATS!!!! That is so amazing 🙂 I’m very happy for you and a wee bit jealous too 😉

44. Stacey D. says:

I sent you some congrats on twitter but wanted to say it again – congratulations to you and your hubby. I wish you a smooth and healthy pregnancy!

45. THRILL.

Worry away (as we’re all wont to do), but also keep embracing all that mushiness. Congratulations!

AH
    MAH
    GAAAHHHHHHH

I AM SO FREAKING HAPPY FOR YOU! I AM SO GLAD THAT JODIE POUNDSTONE LEFT HER JUDGEY PANTS AT HOME (OR POSSIBLY LOANED THEM TO THAT OB NURSE BUT WHATEVS). THE POINT IS, I AM SUPER STOKED FOR YOU AND THE BOBS AND THE REST OF YOUR FAM AND I HOPE YOUR NAUSEA PASSES SOONER RATHER THAN LATER AND I CAN’T SEEM TO STOP THE ALLCAPS BUT I’M JUST REALLY EXCITED FOR YOU OKAY.