Admiring Our Differences: The Super Action-y DOC’ers

This post is my first entry in the Second Annual Diabetes Blog Week.

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have some level of admiration and respect for every single person I’ve encountered in the Diabetes Online Community. And holy crap, are we a varied lot. Thanks to my newfound friends, I now have a better understanding of what it’s like to be a diabetic mother, a mother to a diabetic child, a person with Type 2 or Type 1.5 diabetes — even a diabetic hardcore athlete.

But there’s one special group of Diabetes Online Community folks that always really impress me: those of you who actually, you know, do stuff. Sure, it’s easy to sit behind a computer and wax poetic about the gusher site you extinguished that day, or to post pictures of the low-carb feast you’ve prepared for lunch. I’m talking about the bloggers and DOC’ers who are full-on, in-your-face, ready-to-educate, public-speaking, money-raising activists.

I’m talking about Kelly, who isn’t afraid to take the likes of Ricki Lake or Reader’s Digest to task on the misinformation they (sometimes unintentionally) spread about diabetes.

I’m talking about Mr. Scott K. Johnson, who will talk to anyone — anywhere — about how diabetes works in the world. Cops, even!

I’m talking about Joanne, who serves as her daughter’s pancreas and raises money for JDRF with Team Elise.

Sometimes, I feel like it’s all I can do to count the carbs in an English muffin and put my face on on a Tuesday morning. Or that the prospect of keeping up a diabetes blog on a regular basis — in addition to living with diabetes, having a job, and other life activities — is overwhelming. I’m ashamed to say that I’ve never participated in a JRDF walk, or spoken to the local Rotary Club, or taken on a national publication. I think that’s what keeps me in awe of you guys.

You’re not just telling us about what it’s like to live with diabetes — you’re letting us in on what it’s like to actively beat the crap out of it. From the bottom of my pancreas: Thank you!

13 comments on “Admiring Our Differences: The Super Action-y DOC’ers

1. Layne says:

Great post Jacquie and I TOTALLY agree. The best I can boast is that I went back to FCCYD in college as a camp counselor. Meh, not that impressive! 🙂 Sometimes I feel downright LAZY when I think of how active and vocal some of the folks in the DOC are. You guys/gals ROCK!

2. Mike Hoskins says:

Love that – “you’re letting us in on what it takes to actively beat the crap out of it.” That is simply awesome, right there. Like the bomb-diggity degree. Or as good as 80s music. Or… You get the point. I’ve been historically the same way – not actually “doing stuff” or “advocating” in the sense of anything productive. But those you’ve mentioned and SO MANY MORE did just that – inspire me to actually look in the mirror and say: you know, I really should get involved. So, here we are. But honestly, you don’t have to do stuff to inspire – look at you, see. You inspire me, often via laughter, and make your blog one of the ones I want to always read as quickly as possible. You are an inspiration and example of awesomeness, so I thank you for that! Keep doing what you do, my friend. Thanks for playing.

3. Lauren says:

You are so right! What a great idea. They really are awesome. I try to do what I can, but it never really seems enough. I am so inspired as well by others who raise their voices for us. Great post!

4. Great post! I love seeing everyones different interpretations of this topic.

Thanks for the link love!!

Xo

5. Minnesota Nice says:

Hey sister. We’re al in this together.
    But now you’ve got me thinking about DOING stuff. Hmmm…….

6. Joanne says:

Awww, thanks for the shout out and thanks for sharing your life with us! I love how you take on D with a laugh and a sharp wit. It’s just the attitude I want Elise to grow up to have.

7. Rachel says:

Thanks for the mention – I wish I could go and do more for advocacy like I had been doing previously, but life circumstances indicate that I cannot. I miss it, definitely.

8. You GUYS!!!!

1) Thanks – love the shout out J.

2) The fact that you are all telling your stories is DOING A LOT!!! Doesn’t need to go any farther than that, and you don’t have to do even that on any given day.

Sharing stories impacts many more people than we imagine it does, so don’t doubt the strength of your voice my sister in diabetes!

9. George says:

Every blog post is something awesome. You are getting the word out and sharing your story.

10. Martin Wood says:

Jacquie, you don’t have to do a walk or stand on a soapbox with a megaphone to make a difference. You do it already, with every blog you post. Your blog is one of the treasured guilty pleasures in my little diabetes world, and I look forward to every new adventure you share (be it entertaining or frustrating, or both at the same time).

11. k2 says:

Jacquie

1. Thanks for the shout out love!
    2. I agree w/ Mr. Scott K. Johnson. The fact that you all are telling your stories is more than enough. I’ll further and say that reading other peoples stories and learning from them is an incredible thing.
    3. I’m a big believer that little ripples make huge waves! And the fact that the amazing DOC ins continually causing the ripple effect is a wonderful thing!
    4. YOU ROCK
    Kelly K

12. Jeff says:

I like this! You do indeed ROCK!

13. Scully says:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I’d like to get out more and do some advocating. I’d like to get involved somehow.
    Loved it!