Mittens Made for Me

See these mittens? Gloves? Glovens? Word on the street is that they’re designed for iPhone addicts — a feat of mitten engineering that lets us stave off finger frostbite and play Angry Birds on a cold winter’s afternoon.

I have a different theory, though. I think that we diabetics are finally having an impact on the garment industry, and that these mittens were actually made for easy blood sugar testing.

11 comments on “Mittens Made for Me

1. Lorraine says:

Awesome! Love ’em. And they’re WDD blue!

2. Nice. Now, where does the blood go once you need to wipe it away…

3. Sarah says:

Haha! too cute!!!

4. tmana says:

I had a pair of those over 20 years ago, long before I was dx’d with T2DM. They didn’t even pretend to keep my hands warm, but for some things they were marginally OK.

Not sure if I’m glad to see the worst of vintage styling coming back — even if it is for diabetes.

5. Caroline says:

So handy! (No pun intended….) I had mitten-gloves like these before the iPhone even existed. Even better, they had a tiny flap so that the tip of your thumb wouldn’t get cold. They started unraveling a few years ago…I miss them!

6. LOL – you crack me up! The first time I was given a pair of fingerless gloves was from a friend in Germany about 30 years ago – in angora wool (highly irritating to the eyeballs)- in pink and yellow. I loved those mitts, but that was before testing of blood sugar on the finger tips was done. Later on I picked up pairs made in South America when those ones went the way of the doo-doo bird. Maybe it’s something we can get here in Canada due to our cooler climate (or for smokers – which I was at the time?). Anyway, now I will view them in a different way with what you’ve written in your blog.

Okay – let me see if I can find a knitting pattern for these – we can all start making our own unique pairs (I can knit mitts – not sure about fingery ones).

7. ooooohhh. mama like 🙂 If only it was cold enough in SoCal to necessitate mittens….

8. nici says:

Love it! And they have a built in blood-soaker-upper (the mitten itself, of course) No need for a tissue … or the inside of your meter case 🙂 And if we made them in dark colors, nobody would ever suspect that we were using the mittens to soak up the extra blood. Brilliant!

9. Marla says:

Thanks for getting back to regular posting. I think you are super funny and I look forward to your blog. Cute mittens. I’ll remember these for my little Type 1 daughter.

I’ve been meaning to knit a pair of those forever!!! I think I need to move them up to the top of my long long “To Knit” List!! 🙂