Diabetes Art Day: Pumpy

Okay, okay. Technically it’s Diabetes Art Night, but I haven’t had time to post my masterpiece today.

I love the idea of Diabetes Art Day. I feel like I have tons of dorky art projects trapped inside my head, but I never have the energy, time, or prompts to complete them. Also, I spend at least 40 hours a week surrounded by some of the most talented artistes in the Southeastern United States — enough to make any girl shy away from a public art project.

The one thing I knew was that I wanted to incorporate googly eyes into my project, so I asked my coworker Caroline to grab some for me on a trip to the craft store. She did — and the next day, Pumpy was born.

Pumpy on a Park Bench. (I know it looks like he peed, but he didn't; a rainstorm had just passed.)

I had grand plans for Pumpy in a series of dioramas, but as soon as I gave him his eyes, it seemed like . . . enough. I went around a few days with the eyes stuck on the pump, and each time I made move to bolus or check in with the CGM, it was a pleasure to see lil’ Pumpy gazing back at me.

Then I let him venture out.

Here he is climbing a tree:

Waiting for the Mockingbirds.

And here he is getting all pissed off because he’s full of insulin and the Cupcake Store is closed:

Pumpy 3

Pumpy wants Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting.

He came in and watched the DVR’d episode of The Real Housewives of New Jersey Reunion, Part 1:

Pumpy 4

"I don't know . . . this Danielle character seems like a nice enough gal . . ."

And here he is admiring all of the other Diabetes Art Day submissions:

Pumpy 5

Pumpy's inspired by everyone's art, but can't make any of his own. He doesn't have any arms, see.

You bet your ass I’m leaving those googly eyes on. I like feeling like I have this piece of “art” that comes with me wherever I go. It’s a constant reminder of Lee Ann’s Diabetes Art Day, everyone’s wonderful art projects, and the DOC as a big, happy whole.

19 comments on “Diabetes Art Day: Pumpy

1. Kim says:

I didn’t know this amount of adorable was legal.

Bravo!

2. talesofmy30s says:

I always feel like.

Somebody’s watching me.

(And not the d-Police.)

• Shannon says:

OMG this is BRILLIANT. I want to sneak into my kid’s room tonight and apply googly eyes to her pump so they are there to great her when she wakes up in the morning. However, that could easily backfire if she woke up in the middle of the night and saw the lifeless eyes staring back at her in the glow of her night light.

3. Jeff Mather says:

I love this! Absolutely *LOVE* it. Yay, Pumpy!

4. This is so smacking hilarious! Love it! Thanks for the laugh, even if it’s D-Art Night! Hope to see Pumpy on some more DOC adventures before long!

5. sisiay says:

awesome. it really begs the question “what COULDN’T be improved with googly eyes?”

6. Jen says:

Love this!!!

Now I want googley eyes for my pump…and a red velvet with cream cheese frosting cupcake!!!

7. Rachel says:

I am seriously loling at these pictures! PUMPY! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I’m dying! This is hysterical. Love it!

8. ZOMG! Hilarious!! I love it! It’s like people have been sticking googly eyes to stuff for, what? Decades? And only now do we really know their true, given purpose. Such a fabulous project, and yet again, for like the zillionth time in the last two days, I’m in awe of the range of creative expression that has emerged from Diabetes Art Day.

Thank you so much for participating in Diabetes Art Day! This is bursting with WIN!

9. Sherry says:

“And then I let him venture out…Here he is climbing a tree” Destroyed me! That combined with the pictures? Tooooo funny!!

“…full of insulin and the cupcake store was closed” was another guffaw inducer!!

I love this! Just LOVE it!

10. Ckoei says:

An eye-opener as far as pump sexuality goes: if your tubed Pumpy is a “he”, would that make the tubeless Omnipod a “she”? 😀

11. k2 says:

I MUST GET GOOGLY EYES FOR MY PUMP.

12. Heidi says:

awesome!brought a smile to my face..

13. Lorraine says:

Very cute. Reminds me of Flat Stanley.