Granola Bar Breath

I’d like to propose my own hypothesis for the high incidence of dental issues among people with diabetes. I know the medical community at large attributes these problems to high blood sugar and impeded circulation, but I’m convinced the real culprit is treating lows in the middle of the night.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I never brush my teeth after a midnight face-stuffing session, no matter what I’ve eaten. I know it’s a terrible habit, and it’s pretty disgusting — I’m reminded every time I wake up to a taste in my mouth that’s something like a mix of week-old Greek yogurt, Pixie Stix and cat fur.

After the adrenaline rush (or CGM alarm) that jolts me awake, the sweaty, shaky trip to the kitchen, the granola-bar-and-Juicy-Juice feast itself, and the post-low exhaustion that rapidly sets in, I just want to curl up in a ball — not concentrate on my oral hygiene.

Am I alone here? Please say I’m not.

16 comments on “Granola Bar Breath

1. talesofmy30s says:

Oh, this is funny. Only because I know when the husband has had a low in the middle of the night by the smell of his breath in the morning. I don’t even have to be THAT close to him.

2. LMAO at the granola bar reserves! Yes, I’ve actually thought about the slowly melting Mike ‘N Ike reserves on my teeth… Ah, the joy of waking up with the taste of spoiled meat on your tongue!

3. Stacey D. says:

At least now you know you’re not alone!! I’m lucky I get up from bed to actually treat the low no less “tidy up” after? No freaking way! 😉

4. Lindsay says:

Agreed!!! I never brush after lows at night. I defintely think this is the contributing factor to my cavaties.

I used to not brush…and then I got my very first cavity ever in my late 20s. Now I brush every time. I have to sit on the closed toilet lid while I’m sweating and shaking, of course, sometimes leaning against the wall, but those teeth do get brushed!

6. Now that I’ve endured waves of root canals and mass dental woes, I have abandoned my longtime practice of not brushing after a Low. If nothing else, at least do the mouthwash. I’m just not ready for dentures in my 30s…

7. If I only need glucose tabs – and don’t get out of bed, I’ll “swish” with some water. Other than that, no. 😛

• Jacquie says:

I’ve been known to do the half-ass swish myself.

All these tales of cavities and root canals are making me want to install a sink next to the bed.

8. Jen says:

LOVE THIS!!!!

Yet another side affect/complication of diabetes.

Forget heart disease and amputations…we’ve got granola bar breathe to deal with people!!!

🙂

9. April says:

Usually I am just lucky to find some food during the late-night-lows…much less, brush those teeth!!

10. lyramarlene says:

bah ha. I’m lucky if I even make it long enough to eat my snacks at night, let alone stay awake long enough to brush my teeth. Don’t you love the smell of slowly digesting orange juice/glucose mixed with cheese crackers in the morning? 😛

11. Abbey says:

We are all destined for root canals! Great post.

12. […] 24 scantily-clad strangers, and my towel is soaked, and it’s really starting to smell like granola bar breath in here, and […]

13. Meredith says:

I have a great solution for this as I am also guilty of doing this. I simply rinse my mouth with listerine in the middle of the night…It kills germs and makes me feel like I have actually brushed my teeth.

Meredith

14. You are SO not alone in this.