D-Feast Friday: Avocado Obsession

I don’t know if it’s because I’m too lazy to cook, or because I’m too lazy to type out recipes, but D-Feast Friday seems to bring out the low-maintenance in me. I feel like I make real recipes all the time, but none of them are exciting enough to share. And there’s something so enticing about a meal that tastes way too good for how simple it is to make.

The following is just that sort of meal. I love it because it’s easy, it’s healthy, and it incorporates my new food obsession, avocados.

I’m not kidding: I went through a phase earlier in the summer when avocados were all I wanted to eat. It was the first time I’d ever really even noticed them, and suddenly I couldn’t stop thinking about creamy yummy beautifully yellow-green avocado flesh. If I were less glamorous, I would have eaten them straight from their skins with a spoon. Instead, I found this recipe (I can’t remember where), which is the next best thing.

Ingredients:

One avocado

One big fat tomato

1/2 lemon

1/2 tbsp of chives, minced

Salt

Slice the avocado. Slice the tomato. Layer the slices on two plates so that they look beautiful and delicious. Squeeze the lemon so that the juice is divided evenly over the two plates. Sprinkle chives and salt on each.

Sit in front of the TV and eat, while you silently congratulate yourself on being such a health-conscious person.

10 comments on “D-Feast Friday: Avocado Obsession

1. sisiay says:

I regularly eat them out of the skin with a spoon. And it’s far from the least glamorous thing I do. I try to sit next to people who are eating grapefruits when I do it, so as not to draw too much attention.

Oh, a related tip for those inspired to buy some avocados: if they aren’t fully ripe (soft, but not squishy) ripen them in a paper bag in the dark (cabinet or whatever). Otherwise they can go from hard to rotten, skipping the soft, delicious phase. Just don’t forget where you put them.

2. Katie says:

This sounds delicious! I have a couple of avos at home and will have to try this over the weekned.

• Scully says:

Wow, I do this more than 3 times a week but I just eat a slice of tomato with a slice of avocado with salt and pepper. My version is FAR less glamorous. I usually eat them with a spoon when I don’t have tomatoes.

3. Renata says:

I love avacados. I eat them right out of the shell. My daughter loves them too but they make her throat itch. (we read somewhere that those who have a latex allergy might also be allergic to avacados)I would eat them once a day if I could afford it.

4. Rachel says:

L-O-V-E avocados. I could eat them every single day for the rest of my days. Seriously.

5. talesofmy30s says:

I LOVE avocados.

6. Bethany says:

i’m not a big avacado person but that sounds good and easy … i’m thinking i’m going to have to try it! thanks for sharing.

7. krista says:

Yum! Perfect!

8. Lauri says:

I love avocado chopped up with tomato, small amt chopped red onion, chopped cilantro, sometimes a dash of chili powder & sprinkled with juice of a real lemon…mmmm, good stuff