Sweet Dreams

They say there’s nothing more boring than listening to someone else describe their dreams. If that’s true, brace yourself for a boring post.

Lately my traditional anxiety dream themes (taking a test I haven’t studied for, forgetting my shoes, trying to drive up a completely vertical mountain) seem to have been replaced by diabetes-related ones. In retrospect, they’re absurd. But in the dream, they’re unbelievably frustrating.

Below, a few examples, and my attempt to make sense of them.

"I'm here to help you sleep! And I brought some night-sweat-inducing diabetes nightmares!"

The Dream: I’m doing something completely normal, then look down and realize that my infusion site is bleeding profusely. I try to run home to replace it while I hold it in with one hand.

The Meaning: I’m feeling guilty about not changing my infusion set every 3 days, or I’m sleeping on the site in a weird way and it hurts.

The Dream: I check my blood sugar and my One Touch reads 7,292.

The Dream: I’m trying to give myself an injection, but I can’t get the needle through my skin.

The Meaning: I’m worried about scarring. Also, my unconscious mind misses MDI therapy.

The Dream: I’m running around a big industrial building in desperate search of a Coke machine.

The Meaning: My blood sugar is low. I usually wake up during these dreams and run into the kitchen in desperate search of a juice box.

The Dream: I’m babysitting BSparl while Kerri is out taking over the world. BSparl is a boy, and I take him to a bar.

The Meaning: I’m probably spending too much time in the diabetes blogosphere.

Please tell me I’m not alone in this weirdness. What d-dreams do you have? Bore me!

12 comments on “Sweet Dreams

1. Holly says:

I recently had one where I was rushing to get to the airport for a flight and got to the security line before I realized I forgot my insulin. I knew I was going to Orlando, but I had a connecting flight in Timbucktoo (literally, that’s what the city was called in my dream). The kindly security guard told me there was no such connection and I would have to spend the night at the airport. Oh, I remember I only had 20 units left, not enough before I got to Orlando.

The meaning: My constant worry that I never have enough supplies. And our beach trip is close to Orlando, so maybe I am getting anxious/excited about that?

• Jacquie says:

Oh, God. The packing/airport trip. I haven’t been lucky enough to experience a dream in which that theme was combined with d-issues.

What was the airport code for Timbucktoo? TK2? WTF?

• April says:

In response to Holly’s dream…a few weeks ago, this almost actually happened to me. I got about halfway to the airport for a work trip when I realized I forgot to grab the new insulin bottle out of the fridge…everything worked out fine, but I was “trippin” (pun intended) for a few minutes!

2. Joanne says:

My dreams usually have to do with checking Elise’s BG and seeing numbers like 1749. I once had a dream I was looking at her meter and it said 445. I freaked out until I realized I was actually looking at my alarm clock it it was actually 4:45 am.

3. Heidi says:

I often dream that I am searching for food…always low when that happens.
    In real life…on a trip to Italy, only realised after we arrived that the drugstore gave me the wrong size vial of my long acting insulin for my pen. I was working with 2 pens…one for short acting and one for long acting, one was 1.5 ml the other was 3, not interchangeable. Had to learn to ask for insulin italian…well, technically I had to ask if I could have “another one like this one” or my best approximation of that sentence. No regrets 🙂 Now it’s one of my best vacation stories. I also had to learn to ask for a pregnancy test on that trip, but it was all good…I was with dh and we were trying 🙂

4. Good stuff! I’ve had those dreams myself… i think all but the driving up a vertical mountain one. Instead, I’ve been trying to jog up that mountain. Anyhow, I’ve got a D-blog post coming up about crazy weird DOC scenarios, which of course include a pre-BSparl Kerri – all of which also means I’m spending way too much time in the blogosphere! But, oh well!

5. In my dream I am always chased by a big needle the mascot kind but I am running in molasses and as soon as he pokes me, I wake up in a cold sweat….
    Guess my needle phobia is still alive and kicking.
    Ronn

6. meredith says:

-The Dream: I check my blood sugar and my One Touch reads 7,292.

The Meaning: I’m feeling guilty about not checking my blood sugar often enough, or I’ve recently had a rash of stubborn highs that have stressed me out.-

OHMYGOODNESS i have this feeling. it is nice to know i’m not alone. 🙂

i have had the dream where my site hurts really bad for some reason, and it almost always ends up being that i’m laying on it in a way that hurts!

7. Bethany says:

i have crazy dreams pretty much every night. i think a lot of the times they’re from lows. tested the theory a few times and seems like it was true but i’m still not positive. lol.

8. Olivejooice says:

I’ve had dreams where my blood sugar is over 1,000 and I wonder how I’m still functioning and well. Then I start freaking out and wake up.

I had a dream the other night that my plane crashed and I died…but I didn’t wake up from the dream. I thought I would go to heaven and ended up in a factory owned by Cat People (people with cat heads). They wanted to keep me and Matt in there and we decided it would be a good idea to try and go to Hubby’s dad’s house in the alternate universe, but when we tried to leave they brought out machine guns and started shooting at us.

Good luck interpreting that one!!!