It’s National Jack and Claudia Day

Who let me practice the fine art of injection on each of their arms almost 20 years ago?

Who weighed my cornflakes and fried up Egg Beaters for me every morning during my middle school years?

Who came running into my room with cookies and Coke when I was low in the middle of the night?

Who drove me to Nemours Children’s Clinic and back several times a year, just so I could get the best diabetes care in Northeast Florida?

Who fought with insurance companies on my behalf, even years after my diagnosis?

Who let me drive their 1992 Plymouth Colt to high school?

Who gave me the freedom to figure out how to take care of myself?

Who paid for two awesome summer sessions at FCCYD?

Who gave me hell when I came home from college for an endocrinologist appointment and forgot my health insurance card — again?

Who gave me my own personal diabetes supply drawer in the kitchen?

Who always has cold beer and a bowl of Reduced Fat Cape Cod potato chips waiting when I come to visit?

Who reads my blog every day?

Who’s perfected the art of asking about my well-being without being overbearing?

Who takes care of my barky little dog when I go out of town?

Who kept up with my insulin, test strip and syringe supplies for years?

Who let me dye my hair blue when I was 16?

Who never used my diabetes as a reason to not let me do something I wanted to (except get my nose pierced)?

Who’s celebrating their 37th wedding anniversary today?

My parents, that’s who!

The Happy Couple

Obviously, they’re wonderful. And not only have they been great parents to my sister and me, they’ve been great companions to each other, too.

Happy day, Mom and Dad!

14 comments on “It’s National Jack and Claudia Day

1. Lorraine says:

So very lovely. Another post that made me smile all the way through it!

Blue hair????

2. Cara says:

Yay Mom & Dad! 🙂

3. Three cheers for Jack and Claudia!

4. Joanne says:

I hope Elise writes something even half as nice about my husband and I when she’s older. I’m glad you were blessed with amazing parents who took such good care of you!

And re: your comment on my blog about Team Elise; it helps to have great friends who have cool jobs, like graphic design and owner of a marketing company… AND are willing to donate their services to such a worthy cause!

5. Layne says:

YAY for your parents! Parents of Type 1-ers ought to get some sort of prize or medal for the things they endure, huh?

And YAY FCCYD! Those are some fond memories of mine right there!

6. sajabla says:

Holy anti sterotypes, Batman! Your mom is drinking beer and your dad wine! Love it!

7. Ellen says:

Happy Anniversary!! What a lovely tribute from your daughter.

8. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    You are such a wonderful daughter, and we’re so very proud of you.
    This unexpected blog has made our anniversary day an event we’ll never forget.
    We were teary-eyed for an hour after reading it.
    We love you so very much.
    Mom and Dad

9. Happy Anniversary to your parents! Mine are in their 30s, too (as far as wedding anniversaries go), but haven’t yet made it to that 37th year. So, congrats to Jack and Claudia! And to you, Jacquie, for being so awesome and recognizing them.

10. Suzanne says:

Awww, great tribute to your parents! Their comment made ME teary eyed, haha!

And oh my goodness, I cannot believe they let you practice injections on their arms!!! Talk about amazing!!

11. elsimom says:

Congratulations Jack and Claudia! What a wonderful tribute.

12. Donika says:

It would have to take two special people like your parents to make such a wonderful person like you!

I am so happy you all are my family!!