My Supporters — All of Them

Not to brag or anything, but here’s how lucky I am: I can’t really narrow my diabetes support network down to one person. Sure, there are a few shining stars (my husband, first and foremost), but the more I thought about today’s Diabetes Blog Week topic, the more I realized the impact that so many people I’ve known have had on my life with diabetes. The thing is, just as the little things can really tick us off, the small things can have a huge impact when we’re dealing with the ‘beetus on a day-to-day basis, right?

A few shout-outs, acceptance-speech style:

• To my parents, who sacrificed time, money, sanity, and a bunch of other stuff I probably don’t even know about to keep me as healthy and happy as possible. And an extra shout-out to my Mom, who led by example when it came to battling insurance companies for basic diabetes necessities. I wouldn’t have this pump if it wasn’t for her!
  • To my first endocrinologist, who put the fear of God in me in the most caring possible way. He gets an extra shout-out for calling my high school principal and taking him to task for not excusing my diabetes-related absences.
  • To my middle school science teacher, who let me stash my blood glucose meter, insulin, syringes and snacks in his office.
  • To all the kids I met at Diabetes Camp, for helping me to feel normal and for giving me great stories to tell people 18 years later.
  • To my co-workers, who don’t (as far as I know) get the slightest bit weird about what I eat, when I eat it, or the fact that I’m always stabbing myself in the finger in their presence.
  • To my aforementioned husband, who gets me juice boxes in the middle of the night, never bitches about paying the pile of medical bills that always seems to be on the kitchen table, keeps me awake when I’d rather pass out than stay up and treat a low, helps me find skirts with pockets, and always tells me how proud he is of me for doing all the things that I hardly ever even think about.

Me, with my husband Bob and my friend Tammy. We were on vacation, and I'm pretty sure I'd spent the previous 45 minutes bitching about my blood sugar.

• To my great friend Tammy, who’s been known to follow me out of a yoga class and run barefoot down the street to make sure I’m not about to pass out.
  • To the whole entire DOC, especially Kerri at Six Until Me, Shannon at LADAdeeda, Kelly at Diabetesaliciousness, and all the other 30-something women who juggle their Type 1 diabetes, their jobs, their lives and families, and more — and let me read all about it when I feel especially alone.

12 comments on “My Supporters — All of Them

1. Crystal says:

What a great list!
    I’ve had many supporters come and go through 25 years, some teachers and professors stick out, a few friends.
    As of late, the D-OC. I’d be more of a mess than I already am without the community.

2. k2 says:

Jacquie –

Such a beautifully written post . You have a great support system and I’m both floored and honored to mentioned on your post! THANKS~
    YOU ROCK!
    Kelly K

3. As another 30-something juggler (though I have pets, not kids) I could really relate. Today’s topic made me think about how many supporters I do have! Great to meet you here. 🙂

4. Shannon says:

Lovely. For some reason, the bit about your science teacher touched me the most. My daughter’s 4th grade teacher has been so amazing this year and I know she’ll always hold a special place in my heart.

5. Layne says:

You went to diabetes camp? Did you go to FCCYD? That’s where I went for YEARS when I was little and I LOVED it! Even whent back to be a counselor in college.

You made me think of a few people that I left out! I had a few teachers who were AWESOME. And some friends who’ve known me for years and totally have my back, especially in college when we went out together, and made sure I tested often enough, etc.

~Layne

6. Layne says:

Sweet! I was probably in all the cabins at some point! 😉 I think I was in the Jaguar cabin twice! I was diagnosed in 1991 and went to camp for the first time in 1992, when I was 10. I went for 3 or 4 summers and LOVED it!

7. Kerri. says:

Jacquie – great post! And I particularly liked “To my first endocrinologist, who put the fear of God in me in the most caring possible way.” Our views about our health are shaped by so many different people, and your post is totally a testament to that.

(And thanks for the shout out!! 🙂 )

– Kerri.

What an awesome list and wonderful group of supporters. Because yes, the topic should have been about your biggest suppoerterS – plural!! Because we all are lucky enough to have more than one great person looking out for us.

9. Lorraine says:

It’s a great list and moreso, a great story of the people who have touched you through the years.

I’m just catching up on your blog now and am enjoying it. I have read several of your comments throughout the week and just knew I was going to relate to your posts. Thanks for writing!

10. […] to lift my head for the next hour, and my parents, husband, and mother-in-law came in to see me. Superstar supporters, […]