The Tinglies

My feet feel weird.

I don’t know how else to say it, and for that reason, I’m not sure what to do about it. And I’m kind of freaked out.

It all started with my “ring toe” on my left foot. (You know, where I wear my wedding band all the time.) A few weeks after I had the Magpie, I noticed it would go numb a few times a day. I blamed it on a few things: exhaustion, pregnancy, tiredness, exhaustion, and not wearing shoes very much (clearly, I was stretching).

Just when I was about to get seriously worried, it went away. All was well with my feet, except that they looked a little like they belonged to komodo dragons.

But now it’s my right foot. On the side, kinda forward from the ankle — it feels like someone glued an extra funny bone to the area where the buckle of my favorite mary janes hits my foot. If I turn my foot a certain way, or twist it a little, or wear a certain pair of shoes, I get this weird nerve-y buzzing tingliness that shoots down the length of my foot to my last two toes. Some days it’s more pronounced than others, but even on the days it’s not there at all, I’m still thinking about it.

Foot issues are the number 1 boogeyman, I think, for most people with diabetes. The threats of blindness and amputation are always there, hiding behind the worst-case-scenario bushes, waiting to jump out and ambush a perfectly good Wednesday afternoon when things might look a little blurrier than usual, or when your right pinky toe starts buzzing in your shoe.

But as much as I’ve heard about taking care of my feet, no one’s really told me what to do if (or when, if you’re a real pessimist) they start to misbehave. Do I call my CDE and waste thirty minutes of her time on something I can only describe as “weird and funny bone-ish?” Do I head to the sketchy Diabetic Foot Wound clinic down the street, and hang out with all the people in wheelchairs in the waiting room? Can I call a normal podiatrist? Should I invest in a thick, sexy pair of diabetic socks? I don’t know.

So far, my main course of treatment has involved poking the afflicted area every 4 to 6 hours to see if it still feels tingly. It does.

After all my worry, it could just turn out that I’m getting older and so are my feet. I mean, if non-diabetic people didn’t have foot issues, too, there wouldn’t be a $927 billion* shoe insert industry in this country, would there?

What say you, diabetic friends of the internet? What’s the first step in foot tingliness investigation? And if it is diabetes-related, then what?

Help a girl — and her feet — out.

If you look very closely, you can see the lightning bolt shooting down the side of my right foot.

*dollar amounts estimated

10 comments on “The Tinglies

1. Heather says:

I’ve seen a podiatrist for a few diabetic foot-related freakouts (Ie: got way too drunk & sliced my foot open at a xmas party, etc), he specializes in diabetic foot care. I HIGHLY recommend him, Ronnie Bateh. I wouldn’t worry too much, I’m sure it’s not a big deal! :)

2. Sarah says:

Good description! Whenever I try to think about writing that feeling, it’s like a paragraph long and makes no sense. I have something similar, waited on it for awhile, but finally got it check out. My endo did the normal pokey thing and found nothing. But it obviously wasn’t nothing, so I went to my GP who couldn’t find anything either, but who referred me to a neurologist. Who I Love. He did a bunch of tests ranging from poking to an MRI to an electric thingy, and the results are… Very very borderline neuropathy. So, now I know and I’m working on a few things.

3. Katie says:

OMG – I love that you posted about this. I LOL’d at “So far, my main course of treatment has involved poking the afflicted area every 4 to 6 hours to see if it still feels tingly.” I have no advice, only to say I have gone through moments of time like this too. Currently, it’s with the outside of my right hand.

4. Auntly H says:

I have a weird feeling spot on my right foot, front instep, not toes. I asked my endo about it (because, really, how many doctors do I have to see?). He poked around and said it is definitely not neuropathy nor related to diabetes. I liked his answer and since I haven’t really noticed it much in the last 3 months, I’m going with ‘no big deal.’ It is possible that I’m being stupid. Don’t follow my lead.

5. I feel that as I type this, I should take my own advice. I’d leave a message with my endo’s office or bring it up at the next appointment if that’s soon. I get strange tinglies in my hands on the occasional morning, that I need to mention at my upcoming appointment.

6. kelly2k says:

Talk to your Endo and make an appointment with a Podiatrist. Also, make sure you’re wearing the right width & size shoe. Most women aren’t wearing the right width or size. Plus, you’ve had a baby and most women’s feet grow after they have children. The difference between shoe shoe sizes are 1/16th of an inch so get your feet measured – and your width. And consider orthotics – They make a huge difference in how your feet feel!
    FYI: My feet are wide & I didn’t even know that until like 7 years ago!

7. I too would recommend a podiatrist.

A foot & ankle specialist I went to said that diabetic peripheral neuropathy usually happens in what they call a “stocking and glove” pattern, meaning if it’s affecting your feet, you’d feel similar symptoms on all of your toes equally. Same goes for your hands.

That being said, she was probably speaking from what she sees in the many T2 patients. Those of us living with T1 are usually anything but usual. :-)

Keep us posted!

8. GingerVieira says:

Definitely worth a doctor’s appointment! Better to over-worry about something that might not be anything…than to ignore something that might be something!

9. This is EXACTLY the topic that originally led me to the DOC blogging world back in late 2005, when I first started experiencing these same types of symptoms. Also had tingly toes and sometimes they’d feel like they were burning. Then, it got to a point where I felt mild or even more severe shooting pains in the top parts of my feet. Couldn’t find anything except horror stories online, and got “take care of your BGs” from my endo and D-team. So set out online to find those “real stories” of how people live with and even treat this… and wallah, here we are. Anyhow, I got checked out by both my endo and then a foot specialist. Both said early signs of neuropathy. Eventually started on a daily neurontin pill and it helped alleviate any tingling and pain. Also bought some of those looser socks that are supposedly “d-friendly,” and they help keep the circulation on its toes (ha!). Hope it’s nothing severe on your end, and you get some answers! Let us know how it goes!