Hell Yeah! Sam Talbot

Y’all! Yesterday I got to add one more super exciting reason to all the other super exciting reasons I have to be super excited about attending the Children with Diabetes Friends For Life shindig. Not only do I get to meet all the best friends I’ve never met, take a break from work, and get the You-Can-Do-It diabetes boost I feel I’ve been missing — all just a few short hours from home — I get to see Sam Talbot from Season 2 of Top Chef! And eat some of his food!

My Sam Talbot crush is a multilayered thing. First of all, I’m a complete Top Chef fiend. My husband and I have been known to cook special meals for Top Chef nights, invite friends over to watch, and then re-watch episodes the following weekend. We have a cookbook signed by host Tom Collichio and way too many fancy pots and utensils for our tiny galley kitchen.

Second of all, Sam Talbot has diabetes! Type 1! Just like me! As the DOC can attest, there’s a happy little magic when you meet another person with diabetes. Or see one on TV. You’re instantly familiar with a huge chunk of each others’ lives. You participate in the same bizarre self-care rituals, spend money on the same stuff, and worry about the same things. You’re practically BFFs already.

Third, Sam Talbot is not harsh on the eyes. Ahem.

Anyway, my Sam Talbot nerdiness started to remind me of this site. It’s a collection of handsome photos of Ryan Gosling, each captioned with a phrase one might hear from the lips of Ryan Gosling if one were, say, the love of his life.

All this brings me to the point of this post. I offer you “Hell Yeah! Sam Talbot,” my diabetic interpretation of “Fuck Yeah! Ryan Gosling.” I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

20 comments on “Hell Yeah! Sam Talbot

1. lynn says:

This is such a fantastic post, Jacquie! I found your blog a couple of weeks ago and signed up to get email updates. As the mother of a type 1 daughter (now age 13, diagnosed at 9), I find your insight very helpful.

AHAHAHA I recognized the Gosling inspiration immediately! Remember when Sam was on Top Chef and they had the challenge to cook for kids and one of the girls said the food she liked best was cooked by “the hot diabetic”? That was so rad! My husband and I laughed and laughed. (that was a few years before my kid was even diagnosed.)

Anyway, great post! If you made a HY!ST tumblr I would follow it so hard. Also, my fam and I are gonna be at the FFL con, so maybe we’ll see ya there! :)

3. This rocks so. very. much. And so do you! I needed that today, so thanks. ;) I bet Sam would say something like, “You Can Do This, J. We can also do a quickfire mise en place together but instead of onions and herbs, we’ll do a site change with tubing, insulin bottles and IV3000. Go!”

4. Kim says:

I don’t have words for this.

But if I did, they would be something like…

ZOMG!

AWESOME!!

5. meredith says:

oh. my. gosh.

AAAAHHHH-MAZING!!!

love love love. LOVE.

6. FatCatAnna says:

Oh your post just cracks me up (actually most of them do) – nice eye candy above (I am REALLY out of the telly watching loop – never seen the American show Top Chef in my life – what am I missing??? – hand thrust in my mouth panting hard ).

Hmmm, I wonder if the Canadian version of the CWD event in Toronto will have the same thing as the American one – ours is only a w/e long event. I’m attending as one of the volunteers and taking care of the D-teens – already starting to read teen books to get in the groove with them!).

I’ll bet you are counting down the days / hours / minutes / nanoseconds until the event?

7. Meagan says:

This. Was. AWESOME! Loved your phrases on the pics…too funny. Very exciting that you get to meet him!!! I haven’t seen the show. I will need to watch this adorable T-1 cooking legend at once. :)

8. Jasmine says:

Your captions cracked me up!! That is so awesome that you’ll get to see him in person. Maybe you should make a t-shirt with one of these on it :)

9. Oh Em Gee!!! That was seriously funny! Never seen Top Chef but I might have to watch the season this hottie is on. BTW, the french fry pic was my fav. And not just because I could eat my weight in fries. :D

Okay, I haven’t watched Top Chef, but after this post I’m crushing on Sam Talbot too!!!! Love the pictures too – but you seem to have forgotten one in which he offers to bring (or bake) you a cupcake. :P

Anyway, Can. Not. Wait. For. FFL!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Scott S says:

This Tuesday, June 14, 2011, the First Annual “Sweet Life Kitchen” to benefit JDRF from the NYC JDRF chapter was held in New York. The evening included a specially created 4-course dinner by Sam Talbot and each course was accompanied by an introduction and description by Mr. Talbot. The evening also included a cocktail hour and a small silent auction to benefit the JDRF. Unfortunately, tickets to the event were an anything-but-affordable $500 EACH (see http://tinyurl.com/jdrf-nyc-talbot for details). On the bright side, there are some d-friendly recipes from Sam Talbot on the website. Maybe next time, the ticket prices will come down to make the event more accessible to the masses.

12. Jess says:

love. just love. there are no other words…

13. Rachel Mercurio says:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Sam.

He is yummy.

And you get to meet him? ALSJDALSKDJALSKDJALSKDJALSKJD

“LKSJDLASK…” translated to: “LUCKY!!!”

14. jeffmather says:

We also need some sort of “hot celebrity woman with type 1 diabetes” (who isn’t Halle Berry) site, I think.

15. Amy says:

Oh, yeah! Love the flying french fry picture- that is so random! You are too funny – love your site and writing style – keep it up!

16. Stacey D. says:

This. Is. Hilarious. No need to even read the whole post (which of course I did anyway!). Just look at the pictures and their captions. You are one brilliant chickie :)

17. [...] of Typical Type 1 Hell Yeah! Sam Talbot (I totally did not know he is T1. I think I watched that entire season and I don’t remember [...]

18. melissa says:

Hi jacquie,
    I just wanted to tell you how much your posts matter! They make me laugh and make coping with diabetes a little bit easier. Im 20 and I was diagnosed 7 months ago and a woman from the tour de cure bike race (I did 32 miles this past weekend ) sent me this link. I learned a lot from doctors appointments and from the diabetes educator and I work in a hospital, but I have learned so much from your blogs. I know that whenever I need a laugh or some understanding from people who actually understand I can just read your blog which I have favorited on my phone for convenience. So thanks again for the knowledge and the stories and the mutual lack of compassion for faulty pancreai everywhere!

Melissa

19. Sara says:

I was looking for this link for my Sam Talbot video and can I just say the only thing even better about this post now is that we know Sam Talbot has actually seen it :D