All I Really Need to Know I Learned from the Diabetes Online Community

Before I scraped up the determination to start this here diabetes blog, I spent a lot of time absorbing the wisdom of other diabetes bloggers and advocates — collectively known as the Diabetes Online Community, or the D-OC. And as the cliché goes, I’m still learning new things every day.

Below, a collection of some of the most important gems I’ve collected so far:

1. Besides 1 and 2 (and 1.5), diabetes does not have a type. People with diabetes are old and young, thin and not-thin, professionals, students, stay-at-home-Moms and everything in between, athletes and idlers, hard-core crusaders and quiet soldiers. But all of us are pretty rad.
  2. The SWAG Bolus is universal.
  3. So is the Rage Bolus.
  4. According to our disclaimers, none of us are endocrinologists, nor are we Certified Diabetes Educators.
  5. However, we’re always more than happy to tell them how to do their jobs better.
  6. Parents of diabetic children are truly amazing people. Probably even amazinger than the diabetic children themselves.
  7. The perfect thigh thing/leg cuff/whateveryoucallit is the holy grail for ladies with insulin pumps. (I still haven’t found mine.)
  8. Everyone loves a good “I’m high” joke.
  9. Diabetes is sometimes easier to deal with when you name your management tools.
  10. Acceptance and self-forgiveness are invaluable, but it’s always nice to have someone around who can whip you into shape when you need it.
  11. Health insurance can be a major pain in the ass, but it’s still better than the alternative.
  12. No one ever runs out of lancets.
  13. Insulin is not a cure. Neither is cinnamon. And neither is prayer.
  14. People with diabetes can do all the same things everyone else can, including having children, completing triathlons, and eating embarrassing amounts of ice cream. We just tend to do these things with more conviction because we get tired of hearing otherwise.
  15. Cats are the Official Mascots of the D-OC, with good reason.
  16. There’s no such thing as the “best” treatment or management style for all people with diabetes — each of us is different.
  17. People with Type 1 diabetes and those with Type 2 have more in common than we think.
  18. Guilt is the real enemy.
  19. So is High Fructose Corn Syrup.
  20. There’s no magic formula for avoiding complications. Sometimes they show up early, sometimes they show up late. Sometimes they don’t show up at all.
  21. The best “diabetes recipes” come from other people with diabetes.
  22. The Diabetes Police are everywhere, but they can usually be disarmed with patience, a little information and a well-timed death stare.
  23. Dr. Oz is full of it. And when I say “it,” I don’t mean wisdom.
  24. The only thing worse than a terrible low in the middle of the night is the morning after.
  25. No matter how stupidly impossible any particular diabetes day feels, or how drastic the blood sugar variations get, there’s always someone, somewhere, who’s having the same kind of day you are.

19 comments on “All I Really Need to Know I Learned from the Diabetes Online Community

1. Holly says:

Awww, thanks for the shout out! And how serendipitous, my number all through my softball years was #9! I’m certainly feeling the DOC love today. :’-)

2. Lee Ann says:

Haha, Dr. Oz is totally full of __it. What a hack, seriously.

3. Truly awesome post! Great compilation of all the greats and themes we’ve got in this crazy DOC. Nicely done. This was a great way to start the day, almost as if I’d cracked open a beer. Wait. Wait. Better than beer? Is that even possible? Well, if not, you’re pretty close to it. So there it is.

4. Couldn’t have said it better myself….Love no 17, Yes type 1 and type 2 have a lot more in common but few believe so. It has to be one of the major reasons why diabetes is so easily classified into different types…

5. saucyredhead says:

This is great! Looks like you’ll be making my Friday Round Up post again with this. I love it! I think I’ll hang it on my fridge :) Thanks!

I’m a little sad about the second link in #15. I’ve been working really, really hard at scrubbing that from my brain and now I’m back to the drawing board….

7. Rachel says:

Love it :)

(And yeah, that second link in #15? Makes me remember why I chose cats…)

8. Lindsay says:

Awesome post! love it! :)

9. Virtue B says:

I was thinking about all the reasons I love the D-OC the other day… Your list sums it up pretty perfectly :)

Thanks,
    V.

10. Crystal says:

FANtastic post!!

11. Tricia says:

Very True & Funny! I’m new to the online community & have really enjoyed the insight of others. It’s nice knowing others know what it’s like trying to balance life w/ diabetes.

12. Steph says:

This was a great post to read, especially since I am so new this whole diabetes life and have lots to learn yet! Thanks!

13. heidi says:

What a tremendous post!! I love it! And it’s so nice to find someone I can identify with. :)

And parents of diabetic children?? HEROES! I don’t know how they do it! I’m so thankful it’s me and not my kids, and part of that is for selfish reasons.

14. [...] over at Typical Type 1 did a shout out to the DOC this week and I wish I could write something half this awesome. Kisses [...]

15. Olivejooice says:

EWWWWWW on the dog chewing off the toe article…I think I’m going to barf!

16. I love this list. And every time I see that video of Ginger working me over, my muscles hurt again. Is that what they mean by “muscle memory?”